Saturday 3 August 2013

Revelation in an Alien World


INTRODUCTION


It is difficult perhaps for us to understand the book of Daniel. The book was written in a culture very different from our own. Daniel’s age is one when kings had ultimate power.  Perhaps due to the immense power and authority that they had, it would be easy for them to delude themselves that they were a god. Indeed the king referred to in our passage today, Nebuchadnezzar, regarded himself as being one of the Babylonian gods’  (Nabu) "beloved" and "favourite.”

However, the bible tells us that an idol is nothing (see 1 Corinthians 8:4) and although Nebuchadnezzar had immense power God decided to prove to him that He was greater!

 

The Dream (Read Daniel Chapter 2)


The centre of the story in this passage seems so silly! The king had a dream he couldn’t understand.  I’m sure many of us have had many of those. However, the dream must have shaken the king strongly as he gets very worked up about it threatening to kill the other astrologers and wise men who can’t tell him his dream and what it means. What is amazing to think about here is that God is proving to probably the most powerful man in the world at the time that He is in charge. God is almost playing with him, poking him, saying “if you are so great and mighty work that out for yourself!”  But the king can’t work it out for himself. He needs to hear from God.

All through the history of the bible up to and including the present day God has placed His people alongside those who don’t know him. For the king Daniel was placed near him and his officials said, “I have found a man among the exiles from Judah who can tell the king what his dream means.” (Daniel 2:25)

Daniel then explains what is troubling the king and says, “As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have greater wisdom than anyone else alive, but so that Your Majesty may know the interpretation and that you may understand.” (Daniel 2:30)

Biblical scholars generally agree that the four kingdoms referred to in the dream are the Babylonian, Persian, Greek and Roman empires. Jesus, who appears on earth during the time of the Romans is the “rock . . . not cut out by human hands.” (Daniel 2:34) The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.

There are two key points that we can take from this story. First, no matter how successful or fulfilling life is it is revelation from God that we need. Second, that whatever is built up on earth no matter how powerful or strong it is, will eventually be knocked down by God. All these things, if we put our trust in them are idols. Only His kingdom the kingdom of the King of kings and Lord of Lords will stand.

This is sobering stuff, it should first challenge us not to put our faith or trust in anything but Jesus.  It should challenge us to live a Holy life, a life in the way that our king will be pleased with. As we saw last week, a key challenge from Daniel is to live a Holy life that does not compromise in any way.

Secondly, it should challenge us to seek revelation from God. Paul is very blunt when he comes across people deciding what “flavour” of Christianity they will go for. It is not a consumer choice, some ways will achieve nothing at all, God will reveal and test with fire “the quality of each person’s work.” (1 Corinthians 3:13) This is a sobering thought. Whilst the passage is talking primarily to Christian leaders I believe it is a challenge to all Christians not to simply do Christian stuff but to seek revelation from God. This revelation comes by seeking and developing our relationship with Jesus Christ. He (Jesus) is the ultimate revelation of who God is.

 

Cross Reference to other books


1 Corinthians 3

Colossians 1:14-22

Psalm 118:21-23

Matthew 21:42 ; Mark 12:10 ; Luke 20:17

 

Questions to think on (Please think and post comments on the blog)


1.    It is easy to say that we put our trust 100% in God. What things in your life might easily turn into idols?  (Even good things like our family, our work, the NHS etc can turn into idols if we put our faith in them above out faith in God)

2.    How would you feel if important things in your life (such as work, family, Britain etc) got overturned in your life?

3.    If you were to have a dream where God revealed something to you supernaturally, what do you think it might be?

4.    Think about a time past when God has revealed something to you, in what way did this have an impact in your life?  Think about how hungry you are for more revelation from God.

5.    Read Colossians 1:14-22. This tells us that Jesus is the image of God. Jesus is, therefore, a picture  (indeed the Revelation) of who God is. Think about how well you know Jesus. How hungry are you to know Him more?

 

5 comments:

  1. Sorry this is late: I am not 'techy' like Edward! - but I am responding to the first session of this series. Yes, there is a tension between living a 'holy' life and being in a secular world. This is something I have often felt; many of my friends from way back are not (practising) Christians, and I love 'em all! I suppose the hardest part was explaining how I had been saved at the age of 47 to long-standing and very dear friends! They all accepted that, and although some of them still may say "It's good for you, but it's not for me" at times, though not very often in recent years, nevertheless they are all 'open' and respect my belief, and often ask me things about church, etc. I have been fortunate in my friendships! - however, I have always gently stated whatever I needed to say; never sitting in judgement; yet standing firm in what I believe. I am a firm believer in meeting people 'where they are at'and never, never, acting 'holier than thou', because I am not! (I believe we all of us need to remember that and not become complacent or overly aware of whatever position we may occupy in church: we are all servants of God!)
    Oh dear this is beginning to read like a sermon! - but I simply wrote the above because it is true, and because it may be of some little help somewhere, and because I am being, after all, rather brave, penning (or typing!) these words. If I have blessed someone in some way then it will have been worth my brave efforts!
    God bless...........Dorinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: On re-reading this, I hope that my comments about guarding against complacency and position, etc, are not read as critical comments. Rather, the secular world (and new Christians) do notice how we act, etc, and a humble and kind spirit is far more attractive than one which may come across as self-satisfied! People notice far more about us than we sometimes realise! I hope this addition has explained what I was trying to say a little more clearly!
    God bless.......Dorinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorinda,

    You don't come across as critical!
    I agree with meeting people where they are at. However, God's heart is that they don't stay there. The challenge for me is how to help people grow in Christ. Any thoughts are welcome!

    God Bless
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third session on Daniel: a couple of points - No, sometimes I don't think 'the church' (ie: us lot!) see ourselves as beautiful...it is one thing to be humble but not to the point of thinking we are so unworthy that we do nothing to reach out to other people! - we are indeed, as Isaiah said, beautiful when we seek to reach others with God's love and the good news of His salvation!

    The challenge to help people grow in Christ? - I think it is all about building relationships where trust and safety are real and evident. That way, we can encourage others to share their experiences, fears, etc, and we can share our experiences with them, too. Leading people to relevant Bible verses is another step to leading people to the Lord. Cell groups are a marvellous way of achieving this.

    How we and others in church may be able to encourage ourselves to do more mission? - I have often found that a kind word, or a note in the post, sincerely meant, often means more to people than we imagine. Quite often we don't even recall what we said/wrote! - I have had people say to me that something I've said/written years ago had a lot of meaning for them. This is not me saying how good I am!!! - no! - what I am saying is that long ago I stopped worrying about what I said or wrote, if I felt it was from God - as long as it was not anything hurtful or harmful, I learned to just go ahead and do it! Often we cannot know how we have softened someone's otherwise hardened heart with a kindly word! (and the more we practice that, the easier it gets!)

    God bless...........Dorinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    This is probably my first time 'blogging' and now my 2nd attempt to 'publish' as my 1st attmept has just dissappeared!

    Late in the month, now finished Daniel and I'm struck by how he just kept going living for God in and alien land. He just kept going! How do we do this individually and as church? Agree with Dorinda around small groups which hopefully give us accountable relationships, opportunity for discipleship and allow us just 'to do life' together. Then how we live individually and as community will be attractive and be distinctive to those outside (like with Daniel) and people will recognise this and be drawn to it.

    Encouragment is so important for our health as church. This year I thank several people at church for their direct encouragement, it has really been helpful to me at the time and also challenged me to be more of an encourager to others.

    Hopefully now I will manage to 'publish' or post this. Look forward to other peoples comments. Karen J

    ReplyDelete